BIG 1996 Shamrock 220 WA Project

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by boataddict, Aug 17, 2021.

1. boataddict

boataddict Well-Known Member

I do believe the ring gear is oily as well. I've been looking at those other fittings and the oil pan as well but they seem fine. It really is quite a bit of oil, a steady stream from that spot at the rear now, don't think that it could be anything else, as much as I would like it to be.

2. crhodes

crhodes Well-Known Member

Ouch. Have you developed a plan to fix. (Hope I didn't miss this answer in a previous post.) If it involves puling the engine at least it will not interfere with good boating weather/ summer.

3. boataddict

Opened another thread on this in the mechanic's section. Not sure yet.

4. boataddict

Based on feedback in the other thread and what I've seen online, I think I'm going to pull the transmission this weekend and try to replace the seal myself. I should also be able to confirm that is in fact the seal that's leaking from that area when I do so.

Big job, but I really don't have any other reasonable options. Never undertaken a job this big, but I've figured out everything else so far; I see no reason why I can't do the same with this.

redneck and fisherlady2 like this.
  5. boataddict

A brief update:
    I managed to pull the transmission last week, the bellhousing is filled with oil. I suspect that I am on the right track. May not have time to work on it until next week, but it's coming along.

redneck likes this.
  6. mako2

mako2 Well-Known Member

Glad it is coming along. Your perseverance is paying off. Keep up the great work.
    “YOU GOT THIS!”

boataddict likes this.
  7. boataddict

Well, I believe my repair was successful. New rear main seal is in. Working on piecing it back together now. I ran it today for a while and have seen no leaks since. Engine is shifted severely as a result of wrestling with the transmission which was seized onto the engine. That alignment will be my next project after putting the trans back in.
    Quick pic of what it looked like stripped down, before the replacement: PXL_20211029_172549682.jpg

redneck likes this.
  8. mako2

mako2 Well-Known Member

Great time to give a good bilge cleaning while there is room.

9. boataddict

You bet, that's also on the list for sure

10. boataddict

Transmission is back in place, engine and trans was realigned, bilge is cleaned.

I think from all those years sitting the engine mounts settled significantly, as that's the adjustment I had to make to bring everything back into alignment. It actually seems like it's better aligned than when I started. Driveshaft spins much more freely now. Seems like yet another one of those things I just happened to discover by chance. Got a .01" feeler gauge (smallest I had) to slide relatively evenly all the way around the driveshaft coupler. Like I said, it's even better than it was before, so I think I can call it good for now.

Next weekend I'll fill the transmission back up, winterize it, and that will be it for working on the engine for a while, but hopefully that's all it needs.

I have a list of many other miscellaneous little projects that need to be done before launching next spring that I'll slowly try to tackle throughout the winter if I can, but it will be hard with it covered up.