Bertram 25

morning wood

Aug 24, 2003
ALLEN MD
Well I finally got my wish and bought a 25 Bertram S/F V Drive. She was a Mass. boat that saw great care and not much use. She was in covered storage in the off season for the last 20 years. Her name is CAVU. Maybe some of you up north may have seen her.
I am in the process of a total restoration,engines,wiring,fuel tanks and AWLGRIP. The 318s are original and running but tough to get parts for. So I sold them and a pair of 350s will be going in.

grreatdog

Jan 26, 2003
Are you planning something spectacular like the teak transom you did on the Walk-Thru?

grreatdog

Jan 26, 2003
A few years ago Virginia auctioned some 28' Bert's they had as patrol boats that didn't have the upper station. They were pretty spartan with a lower helm station and seats instead of a table and small galley. Which is just about perfect. If we had not been saving for house at the time we would have been bidding. IMO, Berts are much better behaved boats without the flybridge.

Hey MW - this thread is useless without pics. Give 'em up my friend.

twiisted71

Oct 21, 2007
Why put twins in such a small boat? is it for handling? redundancy/safety? Does it double the fuel burn or does each engine burn much less by not having to work as hard?
Is it for draft considerations? Please enlighten me. I've always seen one engine in pretty much anything under 30'. Between a BB gas burner and all the diesel options, the boats demands could be met with a single.

grreatdog

Jan 26, 2003
Berts are heavy little tanks that weigh a lot more than you would expect. And they have VERY deep vees that can handle a tremendous amount of power. Those hulls will smash chop into glass when you are moving and roll like the proverbial drunken sailor when aren't. Compare this hull to your Shammie:

2014175_2.jpg

And the 28's aren't exactly fuel efficient. I don't know about the 25's. But I would bet that 25 is one sweet little boat for crushing our miserable Chesapeake Chop and getting somewhere in hurry without beating yourself up. I little judiciousness with the throttle using modern engines and it would probably do OK on fuel.

C'mon MW give up the pics.

morning wood

Aug 24, 2003
ALLEN MD
Great Dog,
The boat I bought is the sister to the one shown but no downstairs station. If I knew how to post pics I would but Charles always did that for me.
I have wanted one for a long time. Yes it is my retirement boat. I plan to trailer it to Fla in the winter and run across to the Bahamas. I won't do the wooden transom on this one. It has a protrusion on the hull that would make it problematic. But it will have lots of Teak trim and Teak and Holly soles.
If you look at Riva/Bertrams you will see what I am striving for.
Carlos Riva bought several Bertram 25s in the 60s and really tricked them out.
The boat is the biggest pocket cruiser I could find and have good lines and built like a tank.
Ever since one passed me going up the Bay in a nasty sea and left me I was hooked.

Latest posts