Automatic Fire Suppression

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Downbucket, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Downbucket

Downbucket Active Member Supporting Captain

I have been looking at automatic/manual fire suppression systems and have some questions.
    1. Anyone have one? Which one? Would you purchase it again?
    2. Brand recommendations.
    3. Should it be installed by a professional?
    4. What size do I need for my boat? It's a 22' walk around with a 351 Ford engine. Not sure of the cubic feet. Does this include just the area closely surrounding the engine or the entire in which the engine sits?
    Thanks.

2. Mistress

Mistress Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Captain

I'm only familiar with Fireboy. My Mack came with a Halon system. Unfortunately I don't have the relay that kills the fuel if the suppression system engages. A diesel engine can just cycle the halon through the engine and out the exhaust. Factory relays do a bunch I don't need (turning various circuits off) and are costly. Kurt was going to design me a simple relay, but then he had his stroke. Haven't thought much about it.

Install seems pretty simple depending on skills. But by the same token it shouldn't be expensive to hire out.

Sizewize, I'd say the volume you're trying to protect. Shouldn't be too hard to guesstimate the volume. If at a threshold, I'd opt for larger of the two. Kinda like batteries....you can't have too much battery.

3. Ship

Ship Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

4. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

My mack came with the Fireboy installed (351W). When I repowered it with the Mercruiser 383, I installed a brand new Fireboy myself (the same one as before):

COV-CG2075227 -- 75 Cu Ft

The instructions were pretty straight forward.

5. Downbucket

Downbucket Active Member Supporting Captain

Thanks for your comments Mistress. Good read Ship. Thanks.
    Damon, thanks for the information.
    This will be my first install this spring. Although I hope I never need it,
    it will bring peace of mind.

6. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

Here are a few pictures:

70C2527E-8E9A-43C8-81EA-DA40952804B6.jpeg B4C54A21-0FD8-4D88-B505-B86DE2CA746E.jpeg

7. Mistress

I'm gonna guess few of our boats have such systems. To me, I put it in a similar category as a liferaft. I have a $4k liferaft I go out of my way to never need. But if I needed it and didn't have, I'd write a check for a $million in that moment.

Like I said above, I don't have the requisite relay (I thought that was diesel specific). I don't really have the protection such a system affords. I do feel much safer with diesel over gas, but perhaps I'm being foolish.

8. Ship

Ship Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

Steve gas goes boom, diesel doesn't. Or at least not easily. The fire system doesn't stop that. The gas vapors only need a small spark to do the damage. It does prevent burned out boat with occupants in the water.

9. Mistress

Understood.

Saying I do feel safer with diesel, but perhaps I feel safer than I should. On the other hand, an electrical fire would need more combustibles added as a result to result in a burned out hull. My Fireboy would deploy in the event the compartment got hot enough, but the engine, if still running, could just suck it right out. I do have a port to inject more halon and I also have dry chemical onboard.