August in Long Island Sound

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by deputyrpa, Aug 1, 2020.

1. deputyrpa

deputyrpa Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

Slayed the tasty black sea bass today out of Mattituck Inlet in the middle of the Sound in 95-70' of water. I found a few "humps" in ~100' of water and fished them up-slope and down-slope. Caught a bunch of short fluke too, and bluefish were everywhere. No stripers though. Great day for the last day of vacation on the water!

mako2 likes this.
  2. mako2

mako2 Well-Known Member

Black Sea Bass. Among the best eating fish. Glad you had a great vacation.

3. fisherlady2

fisherlady2 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great way to close out the vacation! Glad it worked out for you!

4. deputyrpa

I made the 280-mile tow down to Long Island again last Saturday. This retirement gig is becoming fun! I went out with friends and family on Sun, Mon, and yesterday, and limited out on black sea bass each day. I drove back last night, and by the time I got home my trailer had only one blinker working. Geez! I installed new LEDs and wiring last year!

I took out my MIL's neighbor couple, the husband of which was a GM mechanic for 23 years until they closed his dealership a while ago. He has really helped me out with the boat engine tuning and diagnostics. His wife had never been out fishing from a boat, and she caught a bunch of fish, including the largest sea bass! Needless to say - he has to buy a boat now. I told him to consult with me before pulling the trigger on one, as Shamrocks as a rugged and spacious fishing platform tend to spoil your perception of boats!

5. redneck

redneck Well-Known Member

On older trailers i would just run a dedicated ground wire from the lights rather that use the frame.

6. deputyrpa

Yessir, that's a good idea. Especially with aluminum trailers. I will do just that. Thanks!