3d printing boat parts

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Bach Wilson, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Bach Wilson

Bach Wilson Well-Known Member

Started with some simple parts, adapters for the rod storage tubes on the 246 open. Following that with a replacement aft control panel with switch guards.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. quickstep192

quickstep192 Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

Very cool. What material are you using? Will it hold up outdoors?

3. Bach Wilson

It's PETG. It will hold up fine outdoors. I have a new completed pictures I will post soon.

ftu209 likes this.
  4. Bach Wilson

[​IMG]

Robert Boucher likes this.
  5. mako2

mako2 Well-Known Member

Looks great. What was the learning curve to use the 3D printer so well?

6. Bach Wilson

I have been messing with the printer since December. That part went well out of the box printing PLA plastic. When I switched to PETG there were certaily some headaches but those got resolved. Im still tinkering with settings on each print.

luckily I have a friend in town with a couple of these printers. He is also a professional engineer and helped me greatly in getting up to speed on fusion 360.

7. mako2

mako2 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the follow up. Just looked up fusion 360, which appears to be the software. Which printer do you use? Getting very close to retirement and this seems to be a very interesting and productive hobby for me to take up.

8. Bach Wilson

Fusion 360 is the design software, Its hardly limited to 3d printing. It's a quite professional grade software. If you use is recreationally, it's free.

Cura is the 3d printer software. Once you design a product in Fusion you send it to Cura. Fusion has a 3d print button that will do this easy peasy. In Cura the software sorts out how to print the object. You have a number of features to select. These parts are mostly hollow and one key element is to sort out how much in fill material goes in. For example the white panel is 20% filled. The black parts had to be more robust and are 60% filled. Once you have these details selected, you send it to the printer.

My printer is the Artillery X1. I bought this because a friend has a couple and I knew learning the lessons he had to learn would be quicker for me. This machine is ~$400 or so new, I got mine on Ebay for a steal. Knowing what I know now, I should have bought one a long time ago. This printer allows 310mmx310mm prints. Its just big enough to print the panel and all of the little parts at one time. Thats about 24 hours worth of time on the printer. You could certainly spend considerably more clams on a printer. I am not knowledgeable on the benefits they might offer.

Its pretty fun to tinker with. I am greatly enjoying learning to draw parts and well as learning to design parts with the 3d printer in mind. 3d printing has some limitations in finish as you can see in the panel. I am considering a re-design with the switch guards as separate pieces so the panel can be printed face down which will raise the finish quality considerably. That would also allow the switch guards to be printed on their sides which would again be considerable upgrade on finish.

mako2 likes this.
  9. mako2

mako2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the detailed explanation. As a thought if you are not completely satisfied with the finish would a very light sanding with 1000 grit paper address any perceived imperfections? That said I am very impressed with the overall results. Great upgrades for the boat.

10. Bestday

Bestday Member

I was going to order new switches covers and redo my panel this spring until I saw this thread. That is just amazing and very well thought out. I hit those switches on all the time!! I would like to ask you if you would share your gcode file. I would like to print one out. I like the switches as well. Can you use the old switches and pop the newer covers on or do you have to buy everything new. Thx Paul