26 hard top Holding tank

Discussion in 'Tips & Modifications' started by rockb, Oct 28, 2021.

1. rockb

rockb New Member

Considering a 26 hard top as a charter boat but would want to have electric head with holding tank to help make my boat stand out from the others in the market that are just center console boats. Does anyone here have such an arrangement?

2. joel@vomhoko.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I suggest you personally try to use the head in any of the 26ers. Unless you're a midget contortionist, it's not until you get into the larger Mackinaws where you get a usable head...and maybe the newer 26 Express???
    I think most folks with the 26ers end up pulling the head for more storage space, with holding tank abandoned in place.

Calvin DiNicolo likes this.
  3. Mistress

Mistress Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Captain

That's the way my 26 Mack came (though holding tank was removed as well). Even if you could get in that little claustrophobic cabinet would be the last place I'd want to be in any sporty sea.

4. rockb

rockb New Member

5. fisherlady2

fisherlady2 Well-Known Member

The 26 H/T is a great boat for many things, but head space isn't one of them. With that being said, there is room in the cabin in general for a toilet to be installed if you are willing to move/remove the existing wall for the closet which currently houses the toilet. With a simple curtain across the step down the entire cabin could then have the privacy.
    Ideally you would have a spacious room for the head but it is definitely a trade off on the smaller boats. If the rest of the boat is the right fitfor your plans then consider an "out of the box" idea for the head, or in this case an "out of the closet" one.

6. Mistress

Mistress Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Captain

On the occasion one is needed, I've found a bucket fits in the step down in front of the head door on my Mack. Can hang a blanket over the front (no enclosed cuddy).

But we seldom have ladies and only salty ones when we do.

[email protected] likes this.
  7. crhodes

crhodes Well-Known Member

Was it Holty that redid his cabin and moved the head to the step-down? That said, we mostly use buckets on the deck if needed and the honor system if ladies are on board. Some ladies use the enclosed head but some of those brave soles don't feel so good coming out if we are any kind of a sea.

8. Holty

Holty Well-Known Member

Yes, many years ago I removed the head enclosure and reworked the dash and V bunk area. Made for a larger V bunk and more comfort for the ladies. There are pictures out there somewhere. It was a nice winter project.

regards Holty

9. deputyrpa

deputyrpa Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

I'm 5'6" and my wife is 5'4". The head on our 26HT fits like a glove. :D