246 transom transducer

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by HookedUp330, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Matt Dickinson

Matt Dickinson Active Member

Not a great pic, but it shows where I mounted a plastic block then a Garmin 'ducer with side imaging on my 260 cuddy. I used 4200 and two mounting screws on the block, and then mounted the 'ducer with the included hardware. My Sham' is a standard rotation prop so I mounted the 'ducer on the port side inward of the exhaust where the prop is moving down to reduce the amount of turbulence flowing past it. I rarely run more than 3000RPM/21kn, and even at that speed the traditional sonar is quite clear. When I slow her down to salmon trolling speed, the SI, the DI and trad. sonar are clear as a bell. With that said, I don't use the SI for salmon due to the depth, but come spring when I am chasing brown trout in 5-6 FOW, it will be very handy. To answer your question, a transom mounted 'ducer mounted on the downswing side of your prop will work very well.

Attached Files:

2. crhodes

crhodes Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

Redneck & Matt - This is great news! Also consistent with Holty's experience.

3. Bach Wilson

Bach Wilson Well-Known Member

My side-scan is mounted on the port side. It doesn't work nearly as well as I would have liked. It does OK at idle but with any power the image gets choppy. The outBoard boat prior to this one worked WAY better.

I have been considering a through hull solution.

4. HookedUp330

HookedUp330 Active Member

How dose normal sonar/chirp work? Lots of interference?

5. Bach Wilson

That one is mounted in front of the engine shooting through the hull. Its works great there.

6. Holty

Holty Well-Known Member

Bach, I don't know what engine you are running in your Shamrock but a Chevy(rt hand rotation) will give you more prop wash to port, and a Ford (Lf hand rotation) will give you more wash to starboard. This was my thinking when installing ducer on starboard side with the Chevy in the Mack.

regards Holty

7. Bach Wilson

I have yanmar power.

8. Holty

Holty Well-Known Member

Determine your rotation and go from there.

9. Bach Wilson

I have determined to go through hull.

It only works OK at any config. I believe the outboard kept the extreme end of the stern more planted in wake even parked. I believe the COG of the 246 is not the same situation. I am convinced a through hull in the center of the boat is a superior solution. I reckon its why the factory did it that way.

YMMV

10. pilarboat

pilarboat Well-Known Member

Given the number of holes drilled for the stern mount, why not just drill one hole for a thru-mount? The thru hole eliminates the guessing and "what-ifs." The only time your thru hull (not to mean an inside hull) will not work is when you are backing or turn into your prop wash and hit the air bubbles.