24 GRAND SLAM 1994

Discussion in 'Boats Buy / Sell / Trade' started by GCAST, Aug 15, 2018.

1. GCAST

GCAST Member

I realize at this point that this boat is being considered a "project". Hull is in fantastic shape. Looking for offers.

2. Mistress

Mistress Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Captain

Unreal.

I have to believe gas prices aren't helping sale. Gas on the water at my port is $5.24/g.

3. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

Being a 27 year old boat is tough.
    The pictures look Great, but ( being the devils advocate) who knows when they were taken.
    i
    It sure doesn't look like any "project boat", but much of that depends,....

You keep dropping the price, is that because of bad feedback of showings?
    Do you have it listed with a broker, with More pictures, and if so Who?

If it were me, Id hire a good surveyer to crawl all over the boat so you can list Everything not up to snuff, engines being prime. You are in a specific nitch market of do it yourselfers, and if they knew the true condition you may generate much more interest.
    This question has been asked Twice, and you have not answered, so I'm guessing the
    answer is NO?

( And a non-trailerable boat is tougher to move )

Good luck with the sale, she looks like a beauty...but I already have one, and dont need another.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  4. Mistress

Unless the tower was made to fold down for trailering, it's way too tall on a trailer for general OTR towing.

5. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

The canopy would have to be modified to fold down, No Big Deal. The bigger issue is Boat Width!
    I had a 23' w/tower that I towed. I don't recall now, but there is a max allowable height ( that is quite high BTW). One hot day I caught a sagging communications line ( the power lines are always the highest)
    the upper station steering hooked it and ripped off the steering head, I fixed it and made a wooden "sharks fin" to mount in front of it for when I was hauling, which effectively deflected low hanging wires up and over the steering head, EASY fix.

6. fisherlady2

fisherlady2 Well-Known Member

Beam on those is 9'2"

7. Mistress

9'2" is supposed to have a "wide load" banner. Some municipalities may restrict further. MANY boats get towed over 8'6" every day. Few have the requisite banner.

IIRC minimum clearance for an interstate is 16'. Max height for semi's being 13'6". I suspect tower has to be higher than that. My Mack's radome on a 6" riser is a a tickle under 12'. The integrated all-around light is over 12'.

Of course when you get off the interstate different clearances will apply. I think min is 14' for major roads in CA. But there's plenty of lower ones on lesser roads. There's some good youtubes of famous low clearance bridges getting whacked time after time.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  8. fisherlady2

fisherlady2 Well-Known Member

Yes, State law here is 8.5' wide, 13'6" high. With Our 26er on trailer the radar dome is just a bit under 12'. I know of 1 RR Bridge on a side road that we can't go under.
    A lot of folks haul oversized boats without banners, some places or enforcement may look the other way, others may not. I would be concerned about insurance not covering an incident if you were illegal at the time though.