Water in my bilge.......

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Flying Circus, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Flying Circus

Flying Circus Well-Known Member

I'm kinda at a loss as to trying to figure out where the water is coming from in my bilge......Boat is stored on the trailer and I'm specifically talking about rain water and when I wash the boat, I would think that with having scuppers, water that hits the deck would flow right out the scuppers.......all boxes have lips or channels that drain overboard.....what am i missing?? any thoughts?? Boat is a 270 open just to be clear......
    Thanks
    Monty

2. L.A. z GATOR

L.A. z GATOR Well-Known Member

Monte, I seem to remember that one of our members had a similar issue with a 29 that I believe has the same scupper design as yours. If I remember correctly, the scupper assembly wasn't sealed properly, and some of the water washing off the decks would end up in his bilge. Anyway, it's just a guess, but it might be worth a look. Good luck.

3. Mackattack

Mackattack Well-Known Member

Water always seems to get in when on the trailer. I jack the bow of the mackinaw up real high so it drains out the rear through hull drains in the transom.

4. Birddogone

Birddogone Well-Known Member

On my 22 Express it comes in via bow anchor hatch.
    Rod

5. Ship

Ship Well-Known Member

Two places come to mind that may be causing you a little water in the bilge. The anchor locker on some boats drain into the bilge and some have complained about the rod holders draining into the bilge. While under way some boats leak around the hull joints, inner and outer hulls that is. Sealing the bottom of the rub rail will solve that one.

6. crhodes

crhodes Well-Known Member

If the removable fuel tank deck covers on your 2000 27' open are like my 1990 Mackinaw then the lips that the deck covers rest on are not part of the gutter system and water can drip into the tank bays and then drain to the bilge. My covers were originally sealed with silicon seal but it still leaked. Additionally, water leaked into the tank bay via the unsealed vertical fiberglass enclosure for the gas fill line to the tank (but you may not have one on the 2000 model).

Never been on your model boat. Just thinking.

7. supergrilldds

supergrilldds Well-Known Member

I have a 1999 219 OPEN and I get water in the bilge when it's on the trailer as well. I second what everyone else says (anchor locker, rod holders and leaky scuppers) but the most important thing on mine is to be sure the bow is lifted nice and high. If not, a little water pooling in the bow will come in through the storage compartment in the floor of the bow and in no time the bilge is full.
    As an aside, how do I wire the automatic bilge pump to work automatically? Mine works via a switch on the dash but if I leave the switch on the pump just runs all day. What am I missing? (kind of a rookie question I'm sure) Hope I'm not derailling the thread.

8. rcracerx

rcracerx Tech Support Admin

On my boat the anchor locker lets alot of water in the bilge, also my front storage box drains into the bilge and it does not have any channels or a water tight seal. In addition to that if too much water is running down the deck for the scuppers to keep up it rises higher than the channels and overflows into the bilge.

Even with a full cover on my boat I still end up with a ton of water in the bilge.

Photo Apr 15, 7 29 50 PM.jpg

One thing I did install this year is a Whaler 650 bilge pump down low in front of my engine and it does a godd job of keeping the water level very, very low but I still have to deal with standing water.

Carl

9. Flying Circus

Flying Circus Well-Known Member

10. fishendiver

fishendiver Well-Known Member

On my 270 open 2002 the channels around the lockers won't carry much water away and it seems to go over the lip into the bilge if I spray to much water also the drain hose plugs up.