Tying up to a mooring

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by quickstep192, Jun 25, 2019.

1. quickstep192

quickstep192 Well-Known Member

I’m hoping get some guidance on how to properly tie up (a Shamrock) to a mooring.

I’m planning a trip to Annapolis and hope to take a mooring. I’ve never done it before, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. ARGO

ARGO Well-Known Member

Get there early. When one comes open, GRAB IT. Harbormaster comes around for the grease in the AM

3. quickstep192

quickstep192 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that advice.

I was mostly interested in the mechanics of tying to the mooring. Is it as simple as looping a line through the mooring and tying the other end to the boat? Do I need a special line or hook or something like that to avoid chafing?

Sorry to sound so stupid, but I've never done this before and I don't want to arrive unprepared.

4. Fish Witch

Fish Witch Well-Known Member

It really depends on how your bow hardware is arranged and how the mooring buoy is set up. I've found that a length of line run through the mooring eye from one cleat to the opposite cleat works well and allows for easy release as long as you don't tie it off to the buoy. It's also easier to retrieve the pendant from the buoy, if there is one, from the stern where you're down low then run your line through it and carry it forward to tie off. I've never worried about chafe gear with being tied off to two cleats btw. If you're in for a blow that may be warranted. Oh, and the mooring pendant can be really slimy so bringing it aboard is not recommended o_O

5. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

I’ve been to Annapolis and tied on a mooring several times with the shamrock. There is a line in the water hooked to the mooring. Just grab it with a boat pole and tie it to your front cleat. Call the water taxi to go in and you can pay at the dock masters office when you go in. If you want a spot in town you can usually find one to sneak into. There are moorings on both the inland side and the outward side of the bridge. Inland side is calmer. Good luck and enjoy!

6. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

Disclaimer- the line is gross because it’s been in the drink... might want to have some soap handy.

7. petertr3

petertr3 Well-Known Member

Ditto. I use a short line from the mooring line to the bow cleat to avoid having the crud from the mooring's line all over the deck. Also easier to slip the mooring and leave. Inside the bridge in the cove behind St Mary's church is much calmer.

8. Jim Burnham

Jim Burnham Active Member

Get Dockwa for your phone and you can search for docks / moorings when you get close to your destination and then get a confirmed reservation - online and easily. I get tired of arriving to find that the dockmaster isn't around, or there is some other hassle.