Trolling motor spot lock

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Jared Walker, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Jared Walker

Jared Walker Active Member

Shamrock crowd. Has anyone here put a bow trolling motor on a 246 WA or larger boat?

I fish a lot of local reefs and structure here in SoCal. Would love to use a gps lock trolling motor instead of my anchor and/or sitting in idle and having to re position boat every few minutes.

I know I would need a 36V for the boat size and 84" shaft. Just curious on any real life experience with it.

Thanks.

2. Captain Starbucks

Captain Starbucks Well-Known Member

Subscribing

3. cajunl

cajunl Member

x2

4. Captain Starbucks

Captain Starbucks Well-Known Member

I like the spot lock idea. Pretty pricey, plus you have to add 3 more batts. My bow may be too tall so I was thinking of just adding a 12v trolling motor to the transom just to get in and out of kelp, not to to actually troll with it.

5. Jared Walker

Jared Walker Active Member

Yeah, couple grand. In SoCal it wouldn’t be strong enough to troll with. More for fishing tight to boiler rocks, break walls, and reefs for our local saltwater bass. From what I’ve read on THT the larger boats leave their boats in gear during heavy currents of help assist.