The official 270 Pantograph wiper thread...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Captain Starbucks, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Fish Witch

Fish Witch Well-Known Member

I did a little sketching to scale on some graph paper like in my old engineering days after measuring our windows and it looks like the 17"-22" arm is the right one but the max length of wiper blade would be 22" with it fully extended (it's about 23" to the window edge at 80 degree sweep) and if the arm is at 22" maximum extension, then a 22" blade may interfere at the top at full sweep position (parked). A 20" blade would leave about 10" from the top of the window unswept at mid point of the wiper swing and almost to the bottom of the window vs. about 4" from the top and about 12" from the bottom mid sweep with our exiting arms and blades. A shorter arm and shorter blade would get more at the top since 10" seems to be about my eyeball height while at the helm but not get as much side coverage, hmmm - the design selection saga continues. I did read somewhere these things do take some tweeking to get right.

2. lwarden

lwarden Well-Known Member

I put these on my 260 a couple years ago. They work fine with the API2000 wipers.
    https://www.rocaindustry.com/wiper-system/Product/Pantograph-arm/268/Full|79/

Can't remember where I bought them, but they are similar to the AFI ones. They adjust from 17-22" but I think I have them closer to 17". I've got them tuned to sweep the full window. Different animal from the 270 I know.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  3. dreammaker

dreammaker Active Member

I ordered the #33037A Deluxe Adjustable 17"-22" Pantographic Arm and #33023 24" Blade. I plan on extending the arm only enough to reach the center of the windshield. I wanted the longest wiper blade. I hope it's not too big.
    I read on page 6 of this Marinco site that the AFI 2.5 is the replacement motor for the AFI 2000, but, maybe it won't fit our boat. I'm not changing the motors.
    www.marineoffice.com.br/upload/catalogo/AFI%2008%20catalog.pdf

4. dreammaker

dreammaker Active Member

Hi Guys,

I thought I was going to install the new Pantographic wiper arms and blades today, but, I couldn't remove the old wiper arms. I tried WD-40 and PB Blaster. They are frozen to the wiper shaft. I might need to cut them off with a dremel. I don't want to damage the wiper motor shafts.
    It looks like reinventing the wheel would have been easier.
    Any suggestions?

Joel

5. Captain Starbucks

Captain Starbucks Well-Known Member

Silly question, but did you loosen the hex screw? It's on the wiper arm at the motor shaft.

6. dreammaker

dreammaker Active Member

Yes, I did. The old arm has one set screw. The new arm has two set screws.

7. Captain Starbucks

Captain Starbucks Well-Known Member

I put a thin wrench just bigger than the shaft and then wrenched the nut which forced the arm off.

8. dreammaker

dreammaker Active Member

Thanks. I'll try that.