Spot Prawn Report

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Bushmanj85, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Bushmanj85

Bushmanj85 Well-Known Member

Late report, but thought I would share our Spot Prawn report from the last few weeks!

Each time we went out (Discovery Bay), we got 3 limits in our first five pot pulls. It was a little difficult considering I don't have my Shamrock anymore and I used the little 10 foot dinghy we keep at our beach cabin, and I had to pull the pots by hand. But considering we were only on the water for 3 hours total, I think we did pretty good. From what I could tell, I was the first boat to get limits and head back in.

Hoping to go out a few more times this year, as nothing taste better than a fresh raw spot prawn!

I did make some sushi out of some, but I cooked them for my wife and friends since they were all hesitant to eat them raw like me haha.

Attached Files:

redneck and joel@vomhoko.com like this.
  2. Captain Starbucks

Captain Starbucks Well-Known Member

Nice!

I know someone who lives out there that hammers them all summer long right there as well. We're going to give it a try next month.

3. Fish Witch

Fish Witch Well-Known Member

Nice! I really miss getting them like we used to in Prince William Sound since they're not in Resurrection Bay where I'm boating now. There's nothing like fresh spot prawns butterflied and basted with butter and lemon juice on the barby while anchored up in a beautiful quiet cove out in Alaska's wilderness! Man, do I miss those days!

4. Bushmanj85

try the 300' mark by the light house! i have heard its really good there. But you might have to anchor up your pots. one of the guys in my other fishing club lost 3 pots last week because of the currents.

5. Bushmanj85

dang I would have figured there would be spot prawns in Resurrection. Is that just because of the currents?

6. joel@vomhoko.com

joel@vomhoko.com Well-Known Member

good going put'n the tease on Rob! He's been jonesing for shrimping @ Sequim/Discovery, heh, heh!
    I tell ya, that sure beats the combat madness in Hood Canal too, oh the silly things I've seen there before 9am and after 1pm!!!

Bushmanj85 likes this.
  7. Fish Witch

Yeah, I can't understand it too but it's not the current since there's really not much in either place. I've done some prospecting in the bay and west in Aialik near the glaciers but not worth the trouble, not at all like in PWS. Both boats I kept in Whittier were set up for shrimping, crabbing and long lining for halibut with hydraulic pullers which made it really sweet pulling a string of shrimp pots from 60 fathoms.

8. Mistress

Mistress Well-Known Member

Never fished 'em, but have had some tossed my way. Dayum those were tasty.

9. Fish Witch

Yay! My son just came back from the Sound with some spots he got with his friend, along with 32 sockeye they got, and we bbq'd them last night. Man, those were good!

Bushmanj85 likes this.
  10. Bushmanj85

Im jealous!! I just booked a flight up to Juneau so I can fish coho and halibut in August. Cant wait to be back up there. My buddy send me a picutur this weekend and they went to Hawk Inlet and got a crap ton of spot prawns. After they cleaned them, they had 45 pounds in just tails!