Soft spots in deck...very concerned.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Chaatham Squire, May 29, 2008.

1. Chaatham Squire

Chaatham Squire Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Lake Bluff, IL
    Gents-

It appears that water has been getting in to the core of my deck/floor right around where the t-top feet are screwed in. I'm to blame - I did not seal it very well when I reattached it last year. So, what are my options? It will probably dry out when(if) it heats up around here and stops raining, so I was thinking put some West System in the holes. Then refasten and caulk properly. Do you think this will do it? Will I eventually have to cut out this part of deck and replace? What do these screws go into? Is it foam? Plywood?

Thanks guys...

2. quickstep192

quickstep192 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    West System has a procedure for your situation. Check on their website for a variety of technical publications. I think it's in the one called "Fiberglass Boat Repair and Maintenence." If I recall corectly, it involves drilling a bunch of holes, letting it dry out and then injecting epoxy into one hole until it gooshes out of another, then repeating until the whole area is impregnated with epoxy.

3. rockark

rockark Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2008
    s. FL.
    screws pulled @ base of Ttop

CS, Had exactly same prob w/ my T @ purchase. Wimpy mixed bag of 1- 2" screws that held to ply had shaken loose & basicly filed the holes larger every time a wave was hit. Then, of course, before getting to the repairs; we had our worst hurricane season & the boat drank some serious stormwater. Port side was worse, & boat actually had slight list under way. Took Lep's advice & cut a 6" hole in deck, removed a cylinder of foam & wet dryed the fishtank I had below deck (that felt real good) finished w/ screw in deck plate & boat sits/ runs level. Resecuring T was no too bad. Widened old holes, dried as much as possible, heavy on the thickened epoxy, sand level, pilot hole & used larger diam/length screws to fix w/ 5200. Holdin strong so far! I was able to do all this (w/ extra set of hands) by moving the Ttop bases forward/aft just enough to not tear the wires running thru T/ console mating supports ( a little tricky & somewhat more stressful probably than removing T completely). good luck! JP

4. Chaatham Squire

Chaatham Squire Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Lake Bluff, IL
    Thanks guys; I knew I had some work ahead of me - sounds doable though. I'll post as soon as it's finished.