Replacing manifolds and risers

Discussion in 'Mechanic's Corner' started by Nothintoplunder, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Nothintoplunder

Nothintoplunder Active Member

Ordered PCM manifolds and risers with gaskets and new bolts. Received parts and proceeded to to take the old stuff off. Bolts on the manifold were a nightmare, but with the use of a air grinder got the job done. Now it's go together time, noticed that one bolt on each manifold lack the clearance to get a socket on it. I will replace those bolts with allen headed bolts and that should cure that problem. I have two questions, 1. Does it matter which side of the manifold gasket ( one side has writing on it the other does not) faces the head? 2. What are the torque specs for the manifold and riser bolts? I will be using never sieze. Appreciate any information.

2. Bushmanj85

Bushmanj85 Well-Known Member

It shouldn't matter what side of the gasket you are using, unless you are using those metal gaskets. As far as torque specs, I would call Vince at SKIDIM, as they should be able to look it up for you.

3. Ship

Ship Well-Known Member

The torque specs can be had here on the internet by bolt size and thread type but beware that by using antiseize the torque specs change and you may have a hard time getting a solid number.

4. Don Naslund

Don Naslund Well-Known Member

Be sure to paint the heads of the allen bolts if they are not stainless. Rust inside the allen heads will make them so that the wench wont work.

5. Gary S

Gary S Well-Known Member

Or better yet throw them out if they are not stainless. My Nautique which is 1500 miles from salt water are all rusted to the point that they will have to have nuts welded on them to ever get them out

6. tuner

tuner Well-Known Member

Re-torque the bolts after a few heat cycles. The composite gaskets compress over time and can result in a leak and damaged gasket.

ARP has high quality stainless bolts with smaller than standard hex head sizes for easy access.

7. Reel Lucky

Reel Lucky New Member

I replaced mine this week and they came with stainless hex bolts. I also had them double-coated with ceramic as I have gone through 4 sets since I purchased my boat in 1995. I have heard both good and bad on the ceramic coating but wanted to find out for myself if the exhaust manifolds and risers last long enough to make the cost ( extra 400.00) work out! Best of luck