replacing cutlass bearing and maybe prop

Discussion in 'Mechanic's Corner' started by shorething, Jul 11, 2019.

1. shorething

shorething Member

My 1987 ConWalk 20' won't turn more than 3300 rpm @ 30 mph WOT. I'm fine with the top speed, but I know I should be turning closer to 4400 rpm WOT. Also, the boat developed some vibration last year, and there was a little more play in the cutlass bearing than I think there should be, so I need to replace it anyway, and am hoping that cures the vibration. So,... I just pulled the prop and pressed out the old cutlass bearing (1" x 1-1/2" x 4").

I am considering replacing the original 13 x 13 prop with an Acme 913 based on comments on this forum. I am looking for any recommendations or comments on the Acme 913, and I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a brand and/or vendor for a replacement cutlass bearing.

Thanks, and cheers!

2. Gary S

Gary S Well-Known Member

Deep Blue Yacht Supply has full length bearings,be careful some places sell 2 piece ones now.
    I'm running a 913. I had the same problem as you just would not pull the original prop, knew it wasn't the engine it only had 200 hours on it. Very happy with the Acme

shorething likes this.
  3. lwarden

lwarden Well-Known Member

Check Nettles for the prop. ACME are the bomb.

shorething likes this.
  4. shorething

shorething Member

Thanks, guys! Gary S, you already sold me on the Acme 913 a while back, but I thought I'd double-check to see if there are any negative comments. None - and thanks for the lead on the cutlass bearing!

5. mikev

mikev Well-Known Member

I will only change a pitch on propeller
    So you reach 4400rpm
    Is less expensive and you will be happy
    I was in same position

6. shorething

shorething Member

Thanks, Mikev! I've already got a new Acme 913, cutlass bearing and rudder and shaft zincs ordered and shipped. I happened upon a person with a new, unused Acme 913 that he bought new, but never used, and then he sold his boat, so I got a new unused prop at a big discount, and I'll keep my old prop as a spare.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Gary S likes this.
  7. Gary S

Gary S Well-Known Member

Great let us know how it works out

8. Jim Burnham

Jim Burnham Active Member

I went with an 11.5 pitch prop on my 79 20' Pilothouse with original 302 and 2BBL with plans to eventually replace the engine. If I were sticking with this engine, I would go with the 913.
    ACME 543 3 BLADE 13" X 11.5" PROPELLER
    Presuming you've pulled the shaft to get the cutlass bearing out, you might want to consider:
    • Evaluate prop shaft - at least check if it's straight and polish it- or take it someplace to have it checked and have coupler faced
    • New two piece shaft coupler if the old one isn't usable (easier to put on)
    • New shaft log if original or at least new clamps and fresh packing (with the PTFE packing, I wouldn't bother with dripless)
    • Lube engine mounts and align