New upper station on my 246WA murder machine.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Brian McCullough, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Brian McCullough

Brian McCullough Member

After wanting to put this project together for the last year I have finally completed it. It's powered by the 375hp option engine Crusader 6.0. I've been fishing on a friends boat for the past 3 years pretty regularly and his tower (without controls) has been producing ~2 times average our traditional catch. I put full controls, killswitch, trim tabs switches, a small quick drop bimini top for shade, waterproof android tablet that's wifi connected controlling and reproducing the the downstairs NSS12 Evo2, and a fox gateway for digital gauges on the tablet.

It stays on trailer so I had it designed to one man raise and lower while staying under the DOT limit. It's wide enough for 2 people up top. We also had to come up with a way up/down and a way to stabilize it while all that weight was dynamically trying to break the hardtop off. We came up with a ladder up the back that will have 6-8 additional rod holders on it along the outside of the climbing rungs. This ladder unbolts from the engine cover with 2 allen screws and swings up for engine compartment access.

Attached Files:

L.A. z GATOR and redneck like this.
  2. fisherlady2

fisherlady2 Well-Known Member

Great design! Bridge clearance restrictions are a PITA when trying to figure out top helms and radar arches but you did a great work around. Really like the extra support from the ladder also. Now it's time to get out and enjoy it!

3. fisherlady2

fisherlady2 Well-Known Member

Looking again... are you tying it down for transport to avoid wear on the roof? ...and did you consider bonding a 1/2"x2"x16" piece of teak or starboard to the roof where the pipes rest when it is folded down to further reduce wear on the hardtop from vibration during towing? Although a couple of pieces of old cut carpet could do the same.

4. Brian McCullough

Brian McCullough Member

I just use 1 bungee cord to keep the rear from flipping back at highway speed. I put a little more than 1/3 of a sheet of 1/4" starboard down under the upper station and shimmed the t top frame tubes to fiberglass hardtop on the underside. All of the contact points are on the starboard.

5. joel@vomhoko.com

joel@vomhoko.com Well-Known Member

Brian, can you describe the construction of your hardtop? Fibreglass? painted marine ply? Thickness? How much deflection when you're standing on it?
    Thanks!
    -jd

6. Brian McCullough

Brian McCullough Member

The T top is the factory aluminum T top frame with the factory 1/4" fiberglass hardtop. I am not sure of its exact composition. leaves fiberglass shards in your arms and fingers so it is absolutely at least fiber glass skinned. It is not cored with anything though just looks like very oxidized rough gel coat that is about 1/4" thick. Then I through bolted a 1/4" sheet of starboard to the fiberglass hard top. It flexed when you would stand off of the supports under the hardtop but didn't have any cracking or delamination sounds. It would only deflect about 1/2-3/4 of an inch. I just shimmed above the aluminum supports and now it is nearly perfectly solid, even with 2 people up top. I can get you finished pictures and a few of the hard top next time I'm out where I store the boat either tomorrow or Friday.

7. TheBoat

TheBoat Member

How so you trailer it with the Outrigger Poles installed? I tried hauling mine only about 10 miles down to the launch and having the poles laying flat on the hard top they still stuck way out 18 ft long and bounched when trailering. I have a new set of Lee Poles that I'm just going to sell as I have not used them and most likley never will.

8. Brian McCullough

Brian McCullough Member

I trailer with them both on and off. Mine are collapsible 15' taco outriggers though. I couldn't imagine towing with them extended. My rigs total length is only 6 feet shorter than a 53' semi trailer and tractor rig with a double sleeper I parked next to one time. The truck is a long bed crew cab f350. My trailer is way oversized by about 6-7 feet too. It alone is 32 feet long from the ball to back of the bunks. The hull sticks off another foot and the swim platform another 2 feet. The tailer is a dual axle 12k lb trailer.

9. L.A. z GATOR

L.A. z GATOR Well-Known Member

This is so bad ass! Great work!