New Shamrock owner, please help

Discussion in 'Diesel Dudes' started by Rob Gillaspie, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Rob Gillaspie

Rob Gillaspie Member

Oct 26, 2018
    ok guys, here is the boat I bought... I have been pretty hard at it... I need to order new lines for the injector pump... someone please tell me what I have here, and where to get them... 1989 Shamrock 26 open... I don't know if the engine is orginal or not...

Attached Files:

redneck likes this.
  2. Rob Gillaspie

Rob Gillaspie Member

Oct 26, 2018
    oh, and I went by what you guys said for a prop, OMG that was so wrong... maybe I need to know exactly what I have before I start buying props...

3. Ship

Ship Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Atlantic City, NJ area
    You have a Cummins diesel and the look of it indicates it is original and they did come with them. If you said HP not type of engine you would have been way off on the prop. I am not up on the diesels but try PMing Mistress. And any Cummins dealer will have what you need. It will cost more than a gas part but well worth it. They are the best of the pick in our boats.

4. willyok

willyok Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2014
    San Diego
    You’ll need to give some more info for some assistance.

Engine HP and RPM rating

Gear reduction ratio

Shaft diameter

Current prop size and MAX attainable RPM and speed underway.

Will

5. Mistress

Mistress Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Cummins 6BTA. The "A" is aftercooled = higher horsepower than my 6BT (210 hp). The "tombstone" aftercooler is the giveaway. I think they had 300'ish hp and a "detuned" version in the 250 range.

There should be a tag on the engine. I forget what the term is for the number, but it will be indicative of the engine specs and what a supplier will want to determine your associated parts.

FWIW, I've only seen the BTA (vs BT) in refits in that era of hull. Refit, modified, special order???

Tony at Seaboard Marine (www.sbmar.com) or really your local Cummins dealer can set you up. Tony used to run www.boatdiesel. com but passed it on. Lot of knowledgeable folks there last I knew. A membership for a year could be $$$ well spent. Used to be $25.

IIRC there's some cleaning and "adenoids?" that need attention on the aftercooler. Also IIRC if too much oil gets pooled up in it, a runaway motor can be the result, hence the cleaning.

The trans should have a similar tag which gear ratio can be determined from. I'm mostly familiar with the Borg Warner/Velvet Drive C-series (coaxial) which are very common in these boats. It would be a C72 with the diesel. A pic of the trans would determine if it's a 1:1 ratio or something else as anything other than 1:1 has an extension toward the shaft.

FWIW, I don't think I'd be worrying about injector lines from what I can see in the pic. Those look sound just not pretty. I'd be more into replacing every piece of rubber, cleaning the heat exchanger and servicing the aftercooler.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  6. Rob Gillaspie

Rob Gillaspie Member

Oct 26, 2018
    well my main issue is, I cannot find a serial number on the engine... injector lines are ok, however the other lines on the pump need replaced... www.sbmar.com found me the lines, I have not received them yet... and I am not sure what size wheel I need.... a couple of water test... but not for long, those lines are leaking fuel, the injector return line is, so I need to get them replaced before I run it hard... I am a dealer, never had one of these boats... I am sure I will list it for sale... but it won't be cheap, I love it, if someone buys it from me they will have to pay.. Ive spent 15000 on it so far, just with rigging, new bilge pumps, new hoses for those bilge pumps, new simrad with radar, and sonic hub2 with 2500.00 worth of Memphis audio. Ive spent a lot on the trailer, it is basically new now... I still need a Bait well. not sure what I am gonna do there..... really nice rig... can't wait to take it to Venice, La...

7. Mistress

Mistress Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    There should be an engine data plate. CPL number I believe is basically the "build code". Should be a transmission data plate too. Something as simple as a pic might narrow down the trans/ratio. You'll need that and hp rating to calc a wheel. Use "semi-displacement" hull when using a wheel calculator.