New 246 open owner

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Bach Wilson, Jul 14, 2019 at 6:25 AM.

1. Bach Wilson

Bach Wilson New Member

Ive owned my 246 for almost a year now, but finally got my first real test run/fishing trip in. I like the boat quite a bit more than I was expecting. I thought the engine noise of the diesel and speed would be more of a problem. I have a few newb questions about the boat.

The steering is a little stiff, the rudder seems to have some play. Is there a good method to lube this?

The gearbox is quite noisy when first engaged at idle speed. It seems to quiet down after a few minutes though. Is this normal?

It has zincs on the trim tabs, but there is pitting on the prop. Does the prop system use a zinc or does this depend on bonding wires found in the bilge?

The boat has a fresh water washdown switch on the back, Im not seeing a tank for this anywhere? Am I not looking in the right place?

The fish boxes in the floor constantly fill with rain water, pumping them out seem to be the only option. I am concerned about freezing weather damaging this. The boat is kept in Panama City FL, so it will freeze on occasion. Any real solutions there?

Lastly, the deck drains quite slowly and the check valve drains in the back seem to clog easily. I lost my last boat to hurricane Michael last year, I think the deck drains had much to do with this. Is there an improvement I can make here?

2. tcf25

tcf25 Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

Not sure if the diesels have a damper plate between the motor and transmission but on the gassers that is what I would check.

Does the prop shaft have a zinc on it? Trim tabs, prop shaft, and rudder should all have zincs on them.

Not sure about fish boxes...i would not be terribly worried about freezing as any water in them has room to expand upward.

3. Bach Wilson

Bach Wilson New Member

Thanks, no zinc on the shaft or rudder. I will correct that.

I was mostly cocerned with freezing damaging the plumbing.

4. Pequod

Pequod Well-Known Member

The fresh water tank is located inside the console behind the lower vertical hatch.