Needed "FACE SPANNER WRENCH SOCKET" for Hurth ZF 45a

Discussion in 'Mechanic's Corner' started by Alvette2003, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Alvette2003

Alvette2003 Member

My boat: 2006 246 Shamrock Open, 5.7 MPI Crusader, Hurth ZF 45a Transmission.

Hello, I have a bad rear output shaft seal for a Hurth ZF 45a and am looking for the tool so I can remove the 4 notched output shaft nut so I can remove the flange and get to the seal. Anybody got one for sale or rental?? I'm asking here first before I pursue trying to make one.
    Attached is a picture of the nut I'm trying to remove.

A quick note here... Thanks to the members that advised me what transmission I have as it is missing the ID tag... Thank You!!

Attached Files:

2. deputyrpa

deputyrpa Well-Known Member

I tried looking for one up in my parts, and no luck. Mine leaked a bit for a one trip, and then the next trip the rear bearings grenaded. All the mechanics told me they spanner tool was too expensive, and the ZF 45 not worth the time and $ to rebuild. If your seal is gone it could be the result of bearing deterioration/wear. I went out and bought a new pull-off from a ski boat for $1G.

3. redneck

redneck Well-Known Member

4. redneck

redneck Well-Known Member

What did it cost to rebuild? Do they make a kit? It can't be any worse than a GM 4L60E.

5. deputyrpa

deputyrpa Well-Known Member

I didn't get it rebuilt, but it would have cost almost as much as a new take-off. Funny you mention the GM tranny. My Silverado's 6L80 cost me $4K to rebuild when the torque converter took it out. GM put the pump in the bell housing, so that had to be replaced too.

6. Alvette2003

Alvette2003 Member

Looks, like I'm going to fashion my own special tool for this project. I'll Let you know what I come up with.
    Thank you for all replies on this thread

7. pjorlando

pjorlando Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion. The nut looks very similar to ale nuts used on trucks. I have seen a few for 4 wheel drive front axles that have locking hubs, that look like they might work for you. It's worth a shot.

8. Alvette2003

Alvette2003 Member

okay, I'm looking into it this coming week.
    Thanks

9. crhodes

crhodes Well-Known Member

I once ground down a hub socket for use on I think a Paragon gear. It was close but required modification.

10. Alvette2003

Alvette2003 Member

The axle socket didn't work, too big. So I purchased a socket and made one that fit. Anyway I was able to remove the nut, now my problem is locating the suggested Loctite 245 to install the new seal. I've attached pictures of my modified socket for the nut removal.

Attached Files:

redneck likes this.