LP6-DTE Mack 270 sea water pump help

Discussion in 'Diesel Dudes' started by Dave Snyder, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Dave Snyder

Dave Snyder Member

Took on the removal and rebuild of the leaking sea water. Removed the hoses and nuts holding it to the block and could not get the pump far enough aft to clear the studs and gear for removal. Removed the ports and it still is hitting the motor mount before it clears the studs. Tried every angle I could find. Can't believe the motor mount needs to be removed to remove pump. Might be possible to remove at least the top stud but really don't see that solving the need to clear the gear and bottom stud.

2. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

Put the pump back on and double nut the threads, they are studs and need to come out, not the nuts coming off.

fisherlady2 and Dave Snyder like this.
  3. Dave Snyder

Dave Snyder Member

Thanks, betting that it would go that way.

4. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

You may have to turn over the engine now to get the pump back on, probably not, but maybe. You will Definately have to turn the engine to reinstall the pump once you have had it off and installed a new impeller. The reason is the gears will not mesh. This is easy, get a 1-1/4" socket on a breaker bar onto the nut on the front of the crankshaft, and slowley turn as you slide the pump on, when the gears mesh you will feel it, then put the studs back in and tighten.
    BE SURE TO REMOVE THAT BREAKER BAR BEFORE YOU TURN OVER THE MOTOR!!!!!!

fisherlady2 likes this.
  5. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

Have you gotten down to look at the engine block above the pump? Depending on how long the pump has been leaking..you could have SERIOUS corrosion damage. I've seen it on other boats, it can actually eat thru the block! Thus destroying the motor.

PM me your E Mail, I have a modification for the pump I did that alleviates that worry.

I believe someone I shared with has posted pictures of my modification on this site, but couldn’t tell you how to find it.

6. Dave Snyder

Dave Snyder Member

Great tip thanks, happen to know off hand which way these motors spin? Came off with the double nut setup just fine....except for have to fish the wrench from the bilge half a dozen times.

7. Dave Snyder

Dave Snyder Member

Thanks for the reply and yes I have seen your mod and downloaded the pics. Your posts and mod are what made me decide to tackle it now. Could never ask a yard to do the mod. Very light rust on block and some on the oil pan edge. Treat and watch at this point. Have a couple weeks to complete before coho season opens.

acestar likes this.
  8. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

Viewed from the transom of the boat the engine and impeller both turn counter clockwise

9. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

If you have a Harbor Frieght near you they sell a cheap needle scaler, That does a good job of removing rust in all the nooks and cranies, then prime and paint with something better than a rattle can if you have that option.

10. Dave Snyder

Dave Snyder Member

Project has been moving along well but got stuck on getting bearing off shaft. Seems impossible to remove split ring so they can be pressed off shaft. Not sure if any gear puller could fit in the gap between the pair.

acestar likes this.