I May Need a New Freezer!

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Fish Witch, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Fish Witch

Fish Witch Well-Known Member

I just found out my wife, myself and my son each pulled moose permits for the fall hunt up here in Alaska. Holy cow, uh, bull! I don't think we'll be filling all those tags, that would be way too much work! I don't know if we'll be flying in or floating, which would be better. In any case, I'm looking forward to some more time out in the wild with my son.

2. joel@vomhoko.com

joel@vomhoko.com Well-Known Member

Well if it's help you're looking for on a moose hunt, sign me up!!! Bucket list!

3. Captain Starbucks

Captain Starbucks Well-Known Member

Congrats ken!

Keep us posted on results.

4. S0uthernrebel78

S0uthernrebel78 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on pulling 3 permits, forget the amount of work and enjoy the chance at three great bulls and the memories that come along with that hunt the work will be worth it . I was fortunate to be on a Maine moose hunt as the second shooter 2 years ago and when the time came to pull the trigger my long time hunting buddy looked at me and said it’s your shot , he waited 16 years for that permit and gave me the privilege of taking the shot at our self guided moose which taped out to 44” and just over 900lb dressed weight

joel@vomhoko.com likes this.
  5. S0uthernrebel78

8341B4FE-1C93-49C2-8054-F56D18A7D5CF.jpeg Me and my friend with our moose

joel@vomhoko.com likes this.
  6. Fish Witch

Fish Witch Well-Known Member

Thanks all, and nice moose and story Southernrebel78, we may be sharing the permits similarly with a proxy hunt for my wife's permit. We're both old enough to let someone else take our animal for us but I'll likely take mine if lucky enough to get on one. Logistics will play a big part in whether we pull the trigger more than once though. These are remote hunts and as I get older, packing out 12-14 heavy loads of boned out meat, ribs (we have to salvage all meat) and horns any distance is something I think hard about before pulling the trigger for one of these big animals. This is a problem I'm glad to have though! And I'll post updates for sure after our hunt but hope I can upload pictures this time. I tried last fall after another successful goat hunt but gave up on posting that one after I couldn't drag and drop the pics like I could before.

7. Ship

Ship Well-Known Member

Remember to reduce the size by changing the number of pictels or size of pic(3x5 to 1x2) example.

8. S0uthernrebel78

Me and my father butchered our moose we had about 50 man hours between cutting and packaging it up plus we dropped the trimmings off to a butcher to make sausage and ground meat for us, it was a lot of work but i would not do it any other way . It was a pleasure to take it from field to the plate , actually cooked some sausage and meatballs up today for meal this week, definitely one of the best tasting game animals that i have had