fuel delivery

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by cajunl, Mar 24, 2020 at 10:03 PM.

1. cajunl

cajunl Member

Checked the search and couldnt find a solution

1998 220se
    port tank is less than a year old installed by me. Starboard tank is appr 3 or so year old rds tank installed by previous owner.

I usually run the selector on one tank at a time. Last sat run the river, port tank completely out of fuel with both selector valves open. Would only draw from port tank and would not draw from starbd until turned on the valve for that tank. Sunday run offshore and she runs great. 15 miles out on starbd tank, started with 25+ gallons. Seas not great 2-3' Riding bow up and cruising and fuel guage bouncing around. Halfway in she dies like out of fuel, tank is reading 0 on guage. Switch over to port tank and run back in. Get to intercoastal (smooth), Look and sitting not in rough seas, starbd tank is reading over 1/4 tank like 12.5+ gal of fuel. in Flat water tank guages seem to read correctly. This is not first time it has happened to both tanks.

So is it typical in moderate sea's to leave that much fuel in tank from sloshing? That seems to be a lot of unused fuel. Is this the nature of the beast? Do yall typically trim the bow down to conserve usable fuel. Also when it runs out of fuel there is no sputtering or missing....goes from cruise to dead right away. Typical or should look into other problems? Thanks for any advice.

2. radioman

radioman Well-Known Member

You are much better off to run the valve turned to one tank at a time, fluid dynamics simply won't allow fuel to be pulled from both tanks evenly. - one will empty first causing the system to suck air.

Most of the tanks that I've seen have the fuel pick up tube toward the front of the tank, so yes...riding "bow up" will cause the fuel to run away from the pick up and starve the engine.
    It is possible that your pick up tubes don't go all the way to the bottom of the tank, thus leaving useable fuel in the tank that isn't sucked up.

Our fuel gauges aren't even close to being accurate while running...I usually see close to 1/2 tank difference on the reading while running versus sitting still. - use the fuel gauge as a reference and not the gospel!

My advice is if you anticipate running in rough seas, then try to keep the tanks as full as possible so you don't have fuel run away in the tank.

fourcs likes this.
  3. cajunl

cajunl Member

Thanks,
    I normally run the one open at a time. The previous owner ran both open.

The pickup tubes in the old tank(factory) is over an inch from the bottom of the tank. (I cut it up to use for my swamp buggy) so I would assume these were made the same. You are correct it is in the front of the tank were it is the deepest.