Fish Box Question on sealing it up or installing a float

Discussion in 'Tips & Modifications' started by NCOtis220, Nov 16, 2018.

1. NCOtis220

NCOtis220 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Wilmington NC
    Hi Folks,

My fish box on the 1997 220 WAC fills with water every time it rains. When I go down to the boat I always have to pump it out ... which is easy but a pain to have to do it so often. Has anyone found a way to seal the hatch on top so it does not leak water without actually sealing it? If that fails where would you put a float to activate the pump?

OJW

2. Gerry D

Gerry D Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Just about to launch my restored 22 WA and have the same question. I put a gasket between the cockpit sole panel and the flange on the fish box which should help, but the hatch does not seal.
    Eager to hear if there is a solution. I do not want to install another pump with a float switch, a 22' boat should not need 3 automatic bilge pumps.
    My resto includes a new Yanmar, steering system, panels , wiring, through hulls, pumps, gelcoat, upholstery , ports, vents , bimini, etc. Should launch after Thanksgiving weekend.

3. NCOtis220

NCOtis220 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Wilmington NC
    Sounds like a great restoration job Gerry ... Lets hope someone has some ideas for us ... other than just removing the darn thing! :)

Also wanted to mention that when I completed my rebuild I had the boat surveyed. The surveyor looked at a completely new boat (except hull and cabin structure of course) and gave me a 1997/2017 rating on the survey. Might be a good idea to think about as it allowed me to insure the boat for most of what it took to do the renovation. BTW ... Pictures? :)

All the best of some great running in your "new" boat. OJW

4. Gerry D

Gerry D Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Thanks OJW,
    I will post some photos when I get the system figured out.
    Boat US agreed to an "agreed valuation " amount that I is adequate for my needs.
    Are there photos of your boat on the site somewhere? I would enjoy seeing how you handled some of the details I worked through.
    For instance ;I stripped the mouse fur from the cuddy overhead , sanded and enamel painted it , looks ( and smells ) better, difficult but worth the effort.
    Did you rebuild the windshield ? I sent mine back to American Marine in Miami for a rebuild ( twice ) it is now Imron painted silver after they damaged the aluminum frame beyond the point where it could be anodized.
    I am sure you have had similar experiences . Would enjoy comparing notes and learning if I missed anything important.
    I will shake her down in FL , then ship her to ME in the Spring to use at our cottage which far from service yards so she has to be right before going North.
    Gerry

5. Robert Daber

Robert Daber Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Point Pleasant, NJ
    Gerry D I have the same boat and I am putting a water tight Flat deck hatch that has a latch for my fish box. I could not find the exact size so going a little larger and will cut out the opening to fit. After I cut the opening I will epoxy the edge because the floor has a wood core. I plan on painting the deck and will paint over the sanded epoxy inside edges to make it look good.

6. Gerry D

Gerry D Member

Jan 2, 2018

7. Gerry D

Gerry D Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Robert, That's an excellent idea.
    Thanks.

8. Robert Daber

Feb 25, 2018
    Point Pleasant, NJ
    Gerry D I am still researching but this one so far will be close in size. The opening is 12.5 and 12.5. I can't seem to find that size but if you do please let me know. This one on amazon is 14.75" x 14.5 so roughly need to make the opening about 1" bigger on all sides which is not really bad when you think about it since a little bigger hatch is good for bigger fish :)
    Make a template with card board and etch it out and cut with a jig saw. Silicon and screw down the hatch.

https://www.amazon.com/Seaflo-Marin...F8&qid=1543885915&sr=8-19&keywords=deck+hatch

9. Gerry D

Gerry D Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Robert,
    The o.d. of the hatch on my '93 is 16.75" X 17.25 approximately. I think I will bed it down with butyl tape to make it watertight and install a smaller plastic waterproof hatch in the current fiberglass hatch. This way I won't be cutting into the existing cockpit sole panel and can install a larger plastic waterproof hatch later if I find one.
    Have you had a problem with water entering the v berth area from the cockpit sole ? I did, and solved it by using crack filler foam in the gutters that run under the bulkhead. Just a thought.
    GD

10. Robert Daber

Feb 25, 2018
    Point Pleasant, NJ
    Gerry I never noticed water entering the V-Berth but then never paid much attention either. This was my first year with this shamrock and still getting acquainted with this boat. i have pulled the deck to inspect everything and will be doing further investigations. Hoping not to have to frigid of a winter so I can keep spending time on my laundry list of items I want to improve on.