Dump Gun Tricks

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by deputyrpa, Jul 13, 2019.

1. deputyrpa

deputyrpa Well-Known Member

Has anyone become proficient with a gel coat dump gun? Or is it just pull the trigger and spit it out? I just did my transom, and went through a pint in about 1 minute. Holy Moly! That thing lays it on thick!

However, even when I tipped it up after each pass, gel coat would spatter out once I pulled the trigger again. NO matter what combo of air and fluid settings, it made a mess. I even got some on my wife, and she was behind me watching! LOL!

I hate sanding.

2. Gary S

Gary S Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% sure but I thought a dump gun was for use in a mold. When I did some gel work I used a gel gun with a large tip. Also used Duratec high gloss additive to reduce sanding. 100_0620.JPG 100_0606.JPG 100_0639.JPG 100_0996.JPG 100_1007.JPG 100_1033.JPG

redneck and deputyrpa like this.
  3. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

I second this. that is my go to gun. Tho I have one with an even larger tip that works well on thicker materials.

4. deputyrpa

I ran out of Duratec and my last gel coat application didn't kick. For that I used a HF "purple gun" with the tip drilled out to 2.38 mm (3/32). It worked fine. The gel coat I used was from 2015, and I thought it was from last year! It was probably "chemically unsound" according to the fine folks at Express Composites. I completely removed it. I was able to get some gel coat with a wax additive instead, locally, and thought it would be too thick for the HF gun. I have to admit, the dump gun is a blast! It's got that certain lack of finesse that I like in tools!

5. deputyrpa

6. mako2

mako2 Well-Known Member

Very nice work, the repairs look great.

7. Gary S

Gary S Well-Known Member

Thanks. When I was in the planning stages of that project I did look into a dump gun as well. I liked the simplicity of it and the cups have to make clean up a breeze. But I ended up with that gun instead. It even worked out perfect when I Imron'd the Shamrock.

8. deputyrpa

[​IMG]
    It didn't come out too bad for a #6 tip. I have a #4 and 5 on the way. I'll put on a second coat with the fancy modified HF purple gun with a 2.37mm tip.