Didn't Shamrock know better in 1998?

Discussion in 'Complaints, Gripes, Beefs & Moans' started by BoatFixx, Mar 2, 2019.

1. BoatFixx

BoatFixx Well-Known Member

To use kiln dried house lumber and stapled plywood for engine mount locations in their boats? Sheeshj!

mikev likes this.
  2. mikev

mikev Well-Known Member

Any pictures

3. BoatFixx

Port Aft, engine mount landing. Factory installed Yanmar 4LH-DTE. The glassed in fir is the typical landing for the wider v8, with added pads for the narrow Yanmar.
    [​IMG]

4. BoatFixx

This is a photo of a 4" hole cut through the main longitude stringer (both sides) which has the engine stringers glassed to. The 4" hole feeds fresh air from vents located on the outside of the wheelhouse. This set up effectively acted as port and starboard rainwater downspouts directly into the engine compartment
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. BoatFixx

I'm the second owner. I am doing a major re-build of the boat. Though I love this sort of "Jeep on the water version" of a boat, they did some pretty dumb stuff, with some things (like using kiln dried lumber) not out of the norm for mass produced boats, but others being downright stupid like creating those rain gutters and down spouts into the engine compartment.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  6. Pequod

Pequod Well-Known Member

Common practice especially in Down East boats in Maine. Old saying up they ya, "what ever is available in the wood pile."
    It is not uncommon if your in the yachting industry.