bow rail help

Discussion in 'Tips & Modifications' started by cajunl, Jun 18, 2019.

1. cajunl

cajunl Member

93 22' open.

I plan on installing a bow shade utilizing the bow rail with a couple bolt on rod holder and the t top. When measuring I noticed one of the thru bolts on the bow rail broke off flush with it. Taking of the bow rail to see what i need to repair another bolt broke off loosening the nuts.

The stainless bolts looked to be either pressed on or welded on in the manufacturing of the railing. I could not easy out the broke off bolts. Does anyone know how they thru bolts are attached? I have a couple options.

#1 Drill out the old broke off bolt and weld in a stainless bolt around the hex head. This option I worry about the alignment and warping the rail with the heat?

#2 drill out the old broke bolt, tap the hole. Put some JB weld on stainless all thread and let set. should keep the same angle. worried the jb weld may not hold when tightning down the nuts.

Anyone deal with anything similar?

2. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

Since nobody has responded, i don’t think JB weld will hold, or at least not for long. I’d take it to a railing guy and have them do it. I had the same exact issue on my pilothouse and removed the rail all together. But i know that isn’t an option for you

3. cajunl

cajunl Member

Thanks for the response.

I did option 2 and tapped the hole. It looked to be a welded stainless stud bolt. I removed the rail and drilled and retapped the hole and jb welded (a lot) in the hole on the threads. So far it seems pretty strong.

If it breaks again hopefully I can find another option

4. flatrock

flatrock Well-Known Member

You can't just through bolt it with a backing plate? That's the way all mine are. I guess without pics, it's hard to tell what we're looking at.

5. fishineer

fishineer Well-Known Member

My rail is secure, but I have never determined how to remove and reinstall it. I am presuming there is a washer and a nut under the deck, but accessibility may be a challenge. I apologize, but I would like to go to school on your observations and remedies. Hope it was/ or may become an easy repair.