Birthday suggestions

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by fisherlady2, Mar 23, 2020 at 2:08 PM.

1. fisherlady2

fisherlady2 Well-Known Member

So guys, any of you who get the 'what do you want for your birthday?' question I have a couple of suggestions.
    we did the manifold and riser project last weekend on the boat and had a chance to really appreciate a couple of tools, one my son got me for Christmas a few years ago and the other was a birthday present I got for Radioman a couple months ago.

The auto hammer came in handy for getting the easy out seated in the broken bolt despite the cramped quarters of the bilge and it kicked butt for knocking scale off of the surface of the block when I was cleaning it up before we mounted the new manifold. May not have been its intended use but worked great as a 'mini jack hammer'. I dont think it is available new anymore (at least not by craftsman) but there are still some out there online and I know I will watch for them at auctions or yard sales.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-9...-/153747761155

The other was the right angle drill I got Chris for his birthday. We were able to drill out the bolt and then I attached a copper wire wheel to it for cleaning up what little scale wasnt knocked of with the auto hammer.
    Yes, jobs have been done for years without these types of tools but man it was nice to have them to make it simpler!

so next time she asks what you want for your birthday, resist your first impulse and then give her an answer that wont get you in trouble! LOL
    20200320_152940.jpg
    20200320_152925.jpg
    So any of you guys have other suggestions for items that would be good birthday gifts and handy for boating projects?

redneck likes this.
  2. fisherlady2

And just for a chuckle... the dogs got bored running around in the barn while we were working and wanted to be up where we were... they then proceeded to show us they would lay in the dog house instead of just on top of it, lol
    20200320_153127.jpg

joel@vomhoko.com, lwarden and redneck like this.
  3. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

Once you discover Pneumatic tools, you will never want an electric one again...I use straight and 90 degree die grinders all the time, a wire brush on a die grinder turning at a variable speed of 0 to 20,000 rpms cant be beat!
    And, tho the quality isn't there, Harbor Freight is Great entry level tools.

fisherlady2 likes this.
  4. fisherlady2

I have a ton of pneumatic tools from framing nailer, roofing gun, ratchets, grinders etc, and would have used them in a second but the storage location has limited electric and taking my big air compressor would have overloaded it and the small one isn't great for extended jobs... so went with the cordless options.

5. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

Got Ya.
    I may have access to something you dont, I run them off a spare scuba tank when not near an air compressor.

fisherlady2 likes this.
  6. fisherlady2

No spare scuba tanks here... dont think it would go over well at work if i borrowed an O2 tank for a boat project:D

7. Gary S

Gary S Well-Known Member

We used to use nitrogen tanks because all underground phone cables in ducts are pressurized from the central office so we had them around anyway. Tanks were used if you opened a splice and had to keep the pressure up past where you had the opening. It was also used to find a leak by using a detector that could sniff it. Some guys dropped them off at home instead of having a compressor.

8. seatux

seatux Well-Known Member

LONG time ago, I re-did a girlfriends kitchen cabinets. They were cheap/shitty...I made new replacement doors/drawers, but the frames needed to be sanded to bare wood and re-finished. This was in an apartment type building ( she owned her unit) The DA isn't that loud, but a compressor is, so I did the whole job from scuba tanks. No one complained of noise.

9. lwarden

lwarden Well-Known Member

I think bang for your buck a 90 deg pneumatic angle grinder with a 2” Roloc on it would be the top of the list. I have a crappy one from HF that must be 30 years old and it’s still going. I don’t even oil it anymore hoping it will die so I can replace it.
    I do like the idea of the electric neadler though.

10. quickstep192

quickstep192 Well-Known Member

My first thought was that my idea for a birthday gift would be a competent mechanic to do this work so I don’t have to!

But now, I’m fascinated by this scuba tank thing. How do you fill the scuba tank? What are you using for a pressure regulator? How long would a die grinder run off a scuba tank?