Battery upgrade

Discussion in 'Diesel Dudes' started by steve cate, May 21, 2020.

1. Mistress

Mistress Well-Known Member

Don't confuse amps and amp*hours.

GC2 golf cart batteries are in the 200+ amp*hour capacity. Most aren't rated for cranking amps but I'd presume they are more than capable of several hundred amps.

I've actually had pretty good luck with flooded GC batteries as house batteries.

I just put 2 X-power 31 series in my Mack. $400 each. They were rated the best for high current cranking (1000+ CC amps) and were close to the best in amp*hours.

Replaced 2ea 31 series AGMS that were no longer up to snuff after 5 years. Sears PM-1 that were supposedly re-badged Odyseys. One was down to about 1/2 of spec amps and one about 3/4. Single batt could no longer cranks the Cummins. :(

I have 2 flooded 6v's in series tied to batt #2 in parallel. The GC's are 5 years old and still pass the toaster style batt tester that supposedly pulls 125 amps.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  2. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

I ended up going with two 6V AGM batteries wired in series good for 220 amp hours for my house side:

https://lifelinebatteries.com/products/marine-batteries/gpl-4ct/

It's verily enough to run a 700 watt microwave through my inverter. It pulls enough amperage to cut off my Bluesea ACR, so I set my battery switch to "Combine" with the motor running when I run my microwave (this gives me a combined 320 amp hours), then switch it back to "On" after I'm done (this switch is made for the ACR).

Here's the Bluesea ACR kit with battery switch I installed (I highly recommend it):

https://www.bluesea.com/products/7650/Add-A-Battery_Kit_-_120A

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 1:36 AM
  3. steve cate

steve cate Member

I was looking at the X- power dual purpose AGM batteries for the starter and 2 6V deep cycle AGM for the house bank

I think the X- power is made by Northstar which has a good rep.

4. Mistress

It is.

I'm hoping for better life than the Sears/Odysseys. My previous yellow tops went 8 years before showing signs of age. I hear the new ones aren't nearly as good though and Optima never did have a good rating on amp*hours. When I bought them it was primarily for amps to light the Cummins.

In AGM, I'm not sure there's any advantage in going 6V in series. The durability (selling point of 6v GC batts) is already there in the (AGM) technology.

5. joel@vomhoko.com

joel@vomhoko.com Well-Known Member

I've got the exact same kit and highly recommend it too for 2x6v for house and DEKA 1231MF (1000 CCA) for starting.

6. steve cate

steve cate Member

The advantage of the 6V AGM is that if I go with AGM for my started batteries I only need one charger since the AGM and Flooded batteries require a little different charging profile

7. Mistress

Not really. The charging profiles are very close.

They're a bit more sensitive to overcharging than flooded cells are.

My alternator doesn't know it's charging an AGM.

AGM does have a slower self-discharge rate and a slower degradation per cycle rate.

12v AGM has the same characteristics as 6v AGM. The 12v tends to have longer warranties.

2 6V GC's in series, IMHO, is an outdated solution, since the advent of AGM if one chooses to go AGM. In flooded cells they helped provide some durability at an attractive price point. The GC batteries do have improved amp hours for the footprint, but that's largely due to them being taller.

Last edited: May 26, 2020 at 10:14 PM