Artifishal & Salmon Confidential

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by joel@vomhoko.com, Apr 19, 2020.

1. joel@vomhoko.com

joel@vomhoko.com Well-Known Member

Here are a couple of provocative documentaries that explore the politics and impact of power and food production upon our wild salmon stocks:

Artifishal

Salmon Confidential

2. Bushmanj85

Bushmanj85 Well-Known Member

did you see that winter balckmouth is officially shut down forever. Some guys in the san juans refused to give up 1 week of king fishing in August in exchange for a winter BM season. because of that, BM is now officially lost for all of puget sound for the forseeable future.

3. joel@vomhoko.com

My neighbor up here out of Sekiu was doing really well on the winter BM until they shut it down. I did not hear it is forever, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

4. Bushmanj85

Bushmanj85 Well-Known Member

yup there were two proposals on the table, one that gave us BM and one that didnt. The one that did even had a C&R opportunity for summer kings after the king season closed. So what asshat was paid off to select the garbage plan???

This one on April 5, 2020 shows at least some days to fish in the winter in several closed areas, upcoming:
    https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/2020-04...

The model on April 8, 2020 is the one that got selected that shut us down:
    https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/2020-04...

someone needs to be held accountable/fired for that decision. I cant wait to move back to Alaska. The politics here are out of control.

5. Captain Starbucks

Captain Starbucks Well-Known Member

You are right. The politics here are complete BS. This state is so liberally minded, yet they do everything possible to @$% over the natural resources. Most of our natural resources here are sent out of country, certainly out of state at least. We, the local sportsmen, would happily dump half our paychecks into pursuing more recreational fishing opportunities if they'd just let us. We'd keep the resources in state, get more personally involved in helping keep more healthy resources alive and well, and blast local economies that support sport fishing into next week. I live 1/4 mile away from the saltwater. I'd happily spend the monthly moorage fee if I could chase blackmouth and rockfish all winter. But nope. Meanwhile, commercial tribal crabbing just opened up. I thought COVID 19 made it too dangerous to fish? And this is why all sportsmen in the PNW refer to Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife as the Washington Department of WTF.

They keep thinking hatcheries are the answer. More garbage fish released shitting out the genes of what few strong fish we have left. This is like the food pyramid from 50 years ago. All bullshit, designed by companies looking to get rich on the uninformed. And it worked. For them.

And Atlantic Salmon in net pens in our saltwater bays? Are you kidding me? "oh they'll never escape". Then they do and our governor gives them 5 years to clean up their act while the owners of the net pens collect a massive insurance claim. But they can't compete in our local spawning streams with our native (now there's a funny word) fish. But why are we starting to see more and more salmon that aren't really identifiable? We have 5 native species here, not including the recently added Steelhead. Steelhead are ocean going trout, they were simply reclassified as a salmon species to give them more legal clout for protection. Now in addition to those 5 species, plus steelhead, we have Atlantic's. But they are garbage. Their net pens ruin entire reefs and the ecosystems that surround them. Our native smolts that come out of streams and try to survive in our salt bays before heading out to the big water are given parasites and viruses that they can't deal with simply because these crap net pens are in their way spewing out toxic waste and passing those parasites and viruses on to our native baby's. Did you all know farmed raised Atlantic Salmon meat is gray? They feed it food coloring the week before it's butchered. The joke is on us. Don't buy it, and certainly don't eat it.

Massive habitat destruction by logging operations logging trees right down and over salmon spawning streams. Ahh! A little sunshine, hot water and silt never killed any salmon smolts. But it did. It still does. Logging practices have slowly changed for the better.

And the hydroelectric dams. Are you f'n kidding me? In fact, I can't even write anymore I'm getting so pissed off.

joel@vomhoko.com likes this.
  6. joel@vomhoko.com

Come on Rob, tell us what you really think,....why are you holding back? :)

7. jcarvour

jcarvour Well-Known Member

I just finished a book titled The Death and Life of the Great Lakes by author Dan Egan. Lots of unintended consequences outlined scientifically in regards to fish management, commerce and more. The effects go way beyond the Great Lakes.