AFI w/s wiper HELP!

Discussion in 'Mechanic's Corner' started by ARGO, Jul 14, 2019.

1. ARGO

ARGO Well-Known Member

Before I go after this thing with a machete, how do I get the cover off the damn thing? Tried screwdriver prying several places around edge, no luck at all. Motor runs, but shaft doesn't turn & something loose inside case.
    Update- Maybe screws from the back, but won't come off the headliner. Anything holding it except 1 screw and the shaft nut (& wires) ? I'll pull harder...................

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  2. Captain Starbucks

Captain Starbucks Well-Known Member

Do a search. There should be all you need to know on this topic but you do have to take the wiper arm off first, then the nuts then the shaft.

3. ARGO

ARGO Well-Known Member

Tks, did all that incl the search 1st. "Feels" like there is something else holding it to the hull besides the shaft & 1 screw. Then looks like cover accessed from under plate.

4. Pequod

Pequod Well-Known Member

Having replaced about a dozen AFI wiper motor assemblies over the years, you will need to completely remove the motor assembly from its mounting on the windshield. You then can access the screws that are "blind" mounted with the wiper motor in place.

These can be a challenge as the shaft can "weld" itself to the aluminum windshield mount.

5. deputyrpa

deputyrpa Well-Known Member

Mine is welded. I was afraid to whallop it too much. It's still affixed with the shaft nut off. The shaft nut is most likely om Mars by now.

6. ARGO

ARGO Well-Known Member

This is thru FG of the cabin. "Feels" like something else holding it after the visible screw is out & shaft nut off. More than just wires.

7. Pequod

Pequod Well-Known Member

Rotate the entire assembly to loosen it up. The interesting part starts when re-installing and orienting the wires correctly in order to correctly seat everything.

8. ARGO

ARGO Well-Known Member

Well, got the thing off. Going to open it up just hanging there & see what's rattling. Tks