6 way port, 2 tanks, 1 engine. Need advice

Discussion in 'Diesel Dudes' started by Bob williams, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Bob williams

Bob williams Member

Looking for some advice on my new rig and i’ve exhausted all internet research ability.

As the title states I have a 6 way groco fuel tank selector on my 246 open 4lha-stp powered. The selector is the “L” flow type. I also have flo scan equipped on the vessel.

the 3 position L flow valve only allows me to drawl and return fuel from 1 tank at a time. I’m weary about the idea of switching tanks all the time. Previous boats i’ve owned were returnless fuel systems and always kept both tanks drawling simultaneously.

anyone out there with a similar set up to mine running the “T” flow 4 position groco valve, drawling and returning fuel to both tanks simultaneously without issue?

2. redneck

redneck Well-Known Member

I have the same setup as you except it's a gasser. I've just gotten used to switching back and forth between tanks. If you go with just a tee system and remove the valve it probably won't pull or return evenly to both tanks.

3. Bob williams

Bob williams Member

So that's 1 vote leave it alone thanks for the reply. do you ever notice any listing to the side of your empty tank? Just to be clear though, it would not be removing the valve to replace with a t fitting. Groco makes a valve that appears to be exactly the same as our existing ones but has a 4th detent that draws and returns both.

4. Fish Witch

Fish Witch Well-Known Member

Just remember to switch the valve when you get to your destination for the trip home. Weight balances pretty well that way. I usually run about half to 3/4 full to keep the weight down and if you jot down the fuel gauge reading and how much fuel your tanks take to fill up, you can balance pretty well when putting on fuel too.

5. redneck

redneck Well-Known Member

I haven't seen much of any listing. I haven't run my tanks down to E, I will switch over at the 1/4 mark or travel there on one tank and travel back on the other.

6. tuner

tuner Well-Known Member

I don't think fuel can be simultaneously drawn and returned equally to each tank. A large diameter balance tube between the tanks would help equalize the fuel levels but high return flows, at low engine speeds, may be difficult to manage. The six port valve works perfectly and has the added benefit of a de-facto reserve system.

7. Bob williams

Bob williams Member

Thank you for the replies and the advice i’ll be leaving that how it is. I have a lot of small things to iron out in the next month you guys answering these posts Helps tremendously