3rd Annual PNW Shambacore (2018)

Discussion in 'Events & Get-Togethers' started by joel@vomhoko.com, Jul 31, 2018.

1. joel@vomhoko.com

joel@vomhoko.com Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    Dates: August 17/18 2018
    Plan: Tuna runs Friday; Saturday. Sunday Bloody Decks Recovery/Possible AM Salmon fishing
    Fleet: Currently Rob and I are committing our boats and dialing in the crews. Brad & Steve are trying to dialing it in too. Botton line is there may, or may not be availability on our boats for additional crew, but do let it be known you're looking to crew or looking for crew.

If you want to commit your Shamrock and need crew, or looking to crew, this is the forum thread for this get together to let folks know and make this event a success!

As of Sunday (7/30) Rob reports the bite is already turning on with nice big 25-30' fatties and very few peanuts. Boats are still making runs out of WP @ 65 miles to the SW, with hook ups on the troll in the morning, dead until 2-2pm and then with the bite turning on HOT! More intel available @ BD Reports:

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/forum/washington-saltwater-fishing-reports/

Hopefully, in three weeks, tooners should be closer in and further north. Still no live bait out of Ilwaco, so we're thinking it's better to just plan on Westport as our venue and we can run to SW/W/NW as as SST and Chlorophyl suggest.

This is the draft plan for now, always subject to ocean conditions.....so suggest arriving Thursday afternoon/evening and then return home on Sunday afternoon.
    We'll formalize or whing-it plans for dinner/evening activities, etc.
    -jd

2. Captain Starbucks

Captain Starbucks Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Tacoma/Westport
    Sounds good Joel.

Thanks for starting the new thread on this and keeping it alive. I've just finished eating a mess of Poke and am more fired up than ever to go get some more Albie's!

Saturday's run 29JUL2018 was very long, over 3 hours. Seas were not bad, but rough enough to only go about 18 mph in a Farallon 28x10. Pea soup fog crossing the bar, Coast Guard was on scene somewhere close pulling a boat off the rocks who ran aground in the fog. Water temp break was pretty solid creeping up from 61-62 then a clean break to 64 past the 125 line. Warmest we saw all day was 64.4. We started fishing and had 9 fish on board within 35 minutes and thought it was going to be an epic day. Then it just died.....I mean deader than dead. Lot's of boats out, lots of chatter on the radio. Everybody had the same thing happen to them as us. Trolled for 5.5 more hours until the next troll fish. A few jumpers around but very skittish and they wouldn't let us slide in to start a bait stop.

36 foot yacht ran out of gas 65 miles offshore. Coast Guard on their way out to tow them in. And get a VERY thorough and well deserved inspection I'm sure.

Picked up another fish around 4p. Cleaned the deck at 5 then a Quadruple on the troll rods. First time for me having 4 troll fish hooked up. Lost one, hooked up another on bait. Cleaned deck again. Picked up another fish. Cleaned deck again in preparation to get going on the long trip back to the port. Picked up a few more with a total of 17 fish, all upper 20 lbs, maybe 2 over 30 and 2 peanuts (16 lbs each). Cleaned deck again and headed back in but if we'da stayed, the fishing was really getting going. 10 miles from port, we hear of a boat fishing next to us that has engine problems, Coast Guard is on their way out to pick them up. Long night for all of those guys.

Another few miles to port, our boat feels possessed and is forced off plane, engine running great, seas flat and calm. Some A-hole had a few hundred feet of floating 3/4" line attached to his crab pot, it snatched the Volvo Duo-Prop and dragged us off plane. Some miracle, it only grabbed the drive and wasn't wrapped up in the blades. I pulled up as much as I could, it was attached to a 200 lb commercial pot, and cut it off at the surface.

Crossed the bar in almost complete darkness, drizzle but a great flood tide. No line at the launch. Made it home by 2a for a 22 hour trip.

RK

joel@vomhoko.com likes this.
  3. joel@vomhoko.com

Aug 4, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    Nice report Rob! But if you posted this on BD, you'd have had several swift kicks to the nads and then gang raped for not posting this in the Fishing Reports forum. Aren't ya glad we're not on BD! :eek:

Seriously though, worth pointing out is one of the primary reasons for our scheduling of the 3rd Annual Shambacore for 8/17-8/18 is due to the lower tidal exchange and resulting sea conditions that should allow safer crossing of the bar.

4. Kurt Thompson

Kurt Thompson Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Snohomish, Wa.
    I have a crew of three on Sat, Sun and Mon. Short crew 2 including myself for Friday. If someone has room for two Friday where in for fuel.

joel@vomhoko.com likes this.
  5. joel@vomhoko.com

Aug 4, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    Kurt, Rob talked to the guy at the Holand and now they are purely storage so we have moved to the Pacific Motel and RV. There is only one more double queen room avail., but there were 8 more RV spots available as of this afternoon.

6. Kurt Thompson

Kurt Thompson Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Snohomish, Wa.
    We have a room at the Westport Islander. Thanks for the offer. How much are you paying a day? Still looking to ride with someone on Friday for 2 people. I really don't want to run 65 miles and pay gas for two people. P: I hold 98 gals if fuel. Could I even run 65 miles, fish all day and run back. I have no idea how much fuel I burner hour. Still new to Shamrocks

7. joel@vomhoko.com

Aug 4, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    $94/nite four 2 queens.
    Hopefully the tooners will be coming in closer by then, but,...
    you should really dial in your fully loaded (e.g , fuel, extra fuel containers, water, food, gear, coolers of ICE, crew weight, etc.) burn rates at various rpm before heading off shore.
    Top off your tanks, load for bear, run & refill a few times and figure it out before heading out to the big blue. You have a couple weeks to dial it in...

8. joel@vomhoko.com

Aug 4, 2015
    Pacific Northwest

Kurt, here are some good insights on best practices for range, extra fuel, etc.: https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/not-sure-can-run-50-miles.695873/
    Current chatter on BD is they're still making long runs to SW... just over a week and half now,.....counting the days now!!!

9. Fish Witch

Fish Witch Well-Known Member

Being up here in the FAR Pacific north west, I'd love to join you guys for some tuna. I'm still waiting for global warming to bring them up here - ha!
    Hope you catch 'em up!

10. joel@vomhoko.com

Aug 4, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    Unfortunately sea conditions have deteriorated with winds and seas making the warm bubble at 70 miles offshore and our Shambacore untenable.
    So it is sorrow heart that after all the excitement and anticipation that we decided pulled the plug today.
    Fortunately, with a Plan B, we were able to change our reservations for accomodations to next weekend and have our fingers crossed that conditions will improve. Maybe the warm water offshore will push on up to FishWitch afterall, cause it sure ain't coming any closer to us!