1978 20' Open - About to start rehab.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mike W, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Mike W

Mike W Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Thanks for taking the time to look out for my safety. I'll be printing your information and looking at those items on the boat at my next opportunity.

I had already planned to swap out the Racor, current bowl is plastic. I'm not sure what all of those nuts are on the top of fuel tank. You noted they are on the port side; I looked at the photo and it looks like they are along the rear as well. I'll have to get some more photos and let you know. Also good advice on the shutoffs for the Racor.

2. Mike W

Mike W Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Surveyor - follow up to your recommendations...

I haven't had time to really dig into the boat much, but have done a little poking around when I've had a few minutes to spare.

I did find a grounding wire on the fill hose. So, a little good news there.

The nuts on the top of the fuel tank appear to form a square at the stern end of the tank, which appears to be an inspection plate of sorts. The fill line, vent line and sending unit are "inside" the square, so, I'm guessing that was the purpose of that removable section - to provide access to those fittings. Sounds like not a good idea based on the standards you quoted. I've heard of so many people having replaced old tanks with stainless that it really caught me by surprise that this was an unacceptable application.

In the meantime, I'll be pressing on with some of the projects and getting into the motor situation.

3. Mike W

Mike W Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Well, the mechanical issues are NOT minimal, unfortunately.

Here's the update that I posted on the Classic Shamrock forum...

Since I'm no mechanic I decided to have a pro come out for a look at the motor. Unfortunately, it's bad news - she's locked up bad. He took the plugs out, checked the oil (looked good) and tried to turn the crank and it wouldn't budge. He took the risers off and they are pretty rusty. So, I'm probably looking at a hefty cost to get the motor going in the right direction.

We also found the shift cable was disconnected at the transmission and a lot of rust. He couldn't get the shift lever to move, even with putting a lot of pressure on it. The transmission fluid was nice and clean, but it still looks like some pretty serious transmission work will be necessary

The good news is that the drive shaft looks good and spun easily by hand. So, the plan is to have the mechanic tear the motor down while it's still on my lift and make the decision on how bad it it is and estimate the cost to repair. Preliminarily, he thinks it's going to be close to $5k to get it back in running order. If there's significant damage to the cylinders then I'm probably just going to call it off and get rid of the boat. The mechanic did say that if I'm not in a hurry he will reduce his normal hourly rate to help keep costs down for me.

I'm really disappointed, but I'm not going to dump $10,000 into a 40-year old boat that will still have some needs. If I can get it done for $5k or less I'll do it, but I'm not in a financial position where I can afford to dump tons of cash into a lost cause. I really would like to have a runabout that I can feel safe running along the beach and intracoastal. I'm bummed.

4. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

Jan 26, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Do you know how many hours are on the motor? Replacing the manifold and risers is a given. Some of the knowledgeable guys here can give you helpful tips on “freeing” the motor. IIRC, people have poured mystery oil in the plug holes, let it set in there, and put a socket and a breaker bar on the crank pulley to break it free. Somebody should be able to address the lever on the transmission. With some patience, you should be able to address these issues yourself with guidance from people here and the other site on the cheap.

Don’t give up quite yet!

5. DaveR

DaveR Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

Aug 5, 2012
    St Johns FL
    From what I see the engine has a half cooling system on it. That’s good. The engines hasn’t been full of salt water. That likely means that water was left in the manifolds and leaked into the engine somehow causing it to stick. I’ve seen this happen several times when engines sit for a while. The good news is the engine should run again and likely you’ve got 1 or 2 pistons stuck. Here’s my 2 cents. Pull off the manifolds and risers and leave them off. They’re junk anyways. Fill the cylinders up with mystery oil or something like it and let it sit for a day or two. Pull the starter off so you can get some leverage with a pry bar on the flywheel to start to work it back and forth. If that works and you can get a turn or two then put the starter back in and crank it over without plugs. You will be able to see which cylinders were stuck by the junk coming out. Clean the fuel system the best you can,put in new plugs and start it up. If that doesn’t work Pull the intake and heads. That’s going show what’s going on inside. At this point if it’s got a bunch of water into engine then there’s only a couple options. I would pull the engine out of the boat and figure out if you can get away with pistons,rings and bearings or if a long block was in order. Good luck with it. Those PCM engines are a good engine.Where in Florida are you?

6. Mike W

Mike W Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Great advice guys - THANK YOU!

I'm going to get to work on it today and soak the cylinders. The motor only has about 150 hours on it, so, I'm really hoping I can get her back up and running. One thing I've noticed is that anywhere I'm finding corrosion there isn't any white-crystal buildup. So, it doesn't look like salt water is the cause for the rust. According to previous owner he always flushed with fresh water and I found two bottles of Salt-Away engine flush on the boat. So, maybe I might get lucky.

You guys are giving me hope - and some confidence to give some of this a try on my own. I figure at this point, what have I got to lose? Thanks to all for the technical advice and moral support. I'll keep you posted.

I'm located in Madeira Beach (west coast, near St. Petersburg/Tampa)